Mammy’s Apple Sponge Squares

Also known as Apple Traybake, we tend to “say it like it is” here. These are perfect for an afternoon treat to have with a cup of tea but equally nice with a dollop of cream or custard. Or even on their own!

I originally baked these beauties back in May and only discovered I had pictures of them on my camera yesterday, I think I’ll be making them again really soon!

What you need:

200g unsalted butter

200g sugar

200g self raising flour

4 eggs

2 medium cooking apples

1/2tsp ground cinnamon (optional)

Method:

Pre-heat the oven to 180c.

Cream the butter and sugar together.

Add the eggs one at a time, adding a spoonful of flour after each egg to prevent curdling.

Add the remaining flour and mix well until it is all incorporated.

Pour half of the mixture into a prelined tin, arrange the apples over the top then cover with the remaining mixture. Sprinkle with a little ground cinnamon.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.

Allow to cool before removing from the tin, slice into squares.

Sprinkle with a little sugar and serve.

14 comments

1. sundryandco says:

I’m looking forward to making a tray of this apple sponge for Christmas! Do the cooking apples need a layer of sugar, or will the bitter taste work well with the sugary sponge?

• mammyskitchen says:

I don’t usually add sugar to the apples as the sponge is sweet enough but also because we sometimes pour custard over it too 🙂

• sundryandco says:

Do you think Pink Lady apples would work well with this receipe?

Also, what measurements is the tin you normally use? I am buying new tray and cake tins – what size would you normally use? I always seem to have the “wrong” size for the recipes I use, so the mixture ends up being thinly spread and so on.

My mouth is watering looking at the apple sponge again 😛

2. Delene says:

I decided to make these for a friend using 150g Dove’s Farm gluten free white self-raising flour blend instead of ordinary self-raising flour, and it was a hit! Even with people who don’t eat GF foods, including myself.

3. Laura says:

I made these into buns tonight! Made 17 of them, with 3 cooking apples. I put cinnamon on before I cooked them and a bit of icing sugar after and they are delicious! There’s only 16 left now! 🙂

4. Hannah says:

OMG, I made these traybakes tonight and they went down a treat with custard.
    I will defo make these again, Thanks for sharing the recipe.